Friday, June 8, 2012

Northern Ireland


Last September my boyfriend (who is half Irish (Northern Ireland)) and I ventured to Europe. Both having british backgrounds we had family all across Britian. We first stayed in Wales, UK with my Nana, then took a plane from Bristol, UK to Belfast, UK where we stayed with my boyfriend's grandad for a week. This was my first time here and I must say getting used to the Irish Accent was difficult. It took me a couple of days to understand what people were saying to me. We did a day trip to Belfast and we both agreeed we loved it. It was small because practically walked all across the city, it had its historical history but also some modern mixed in there.



Our favourite was the Belfast Cathedral. When we walked in there was someone playing the Organ. It felt magical. I actually felt like a princess walking down the middle with the Organ playing and the high ceilings. I imagined myself wearing a beautiful wedding dress just like Kate and Will's Wedding in April 2011. I have never got a feeling like that before and I have visited lots of Churches and Cathedrals. 





The City Hall was amazing. Beautiful inside and out. We spent a good hour walking around taking in the beautiful ceilings, the amazing floor and the glass windows. Again this is one of the best City Hall's have been to. 










We were amazed by Belfast and really enjoyed our day out. On our last day in Northern Ireland before we flew to Scotland his Aunt and Uncle took us up to Port Rush, Northern Ireland. They took us along the scenic route which was breath taking. We drove along the sea wall passing small villages and always having the blue ocean on our right.






 Our first stop was the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge. I am scared of heights and walking along a rope bridge over water freaked me out. But I hate missing out and was stubborn. The view was amazing on the walk up to the bridge with the water so blue and the hills of green grass. When we came to the bridge I was shaking and I almost started crying when I was standing at the middle of the bridge. I must of looked ridiculous but I didn't care. I was holding on for dear life. I finally made it over and it was worth it. The view was amazing! I didn't want to leave, I just wanted to pitch a tent and stay there all day. But everything comes to an end eventually. When we were ready to leave I forgot I had to go back over the bridge but the second time wasn't as bad. 




After that we drove to the Giants Causeway which is the fourth greatest natural wonder in the United Kingdom. It was so interesting that these rocks were naturally formed this way from the result of an ancient volcanic eruption. Now I can say I have been there! It was a huge area of these rocks and they were fun to climb on. Yes there were lots of tourists but you can't blame them for wanting to see this. One time we climbed to a high spot sat there looking around the whole view. A little walk away from the main section is a rock shaped as a Giant's Boot. You can sit right in it and it is really comfortable. Again an  amazing rock cause by nature not man.





Then we took a quick stop at Dunluce Castle which is a ruin but it's location is marvelous. Looking over the sea on top of a small hill. We didn't go look inside but we took the time to walk around and see the view. This is my boyfriends favourite Castle he has seen so far. I do agree. If I had a castle would love it looking over the ocean. 





Our Week in Northern Ireland was fantastic. I got to see so much historic buildings, natural wonders and got to experience the Northern Ireland Accent. My boyfriends family were beyond helpful for getting us to experience these wonderful places of Northern Ireland. If you ever happen to get there Belfast, Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge, Giants Causeway and Dunluce Castle are a must see!

No comments:

Post a Comment