Monday, July 26, 2010

work..work..work...

Yesterday at work someone said to me "I can't see you as the career person but more of a person to be with her family more". I thought about that while I worked away at the Deli and thought I do want to be with my family and do as much as I can with my children. But I still want a career and a job. Even doing part-time work while my children are growing up but I don't want to be a stay at home mom. Just because I think I would not like being inside the house all the time. Need something to get up for and know I can be independent. This person also said to me most students end working what they did for their very first job. So she said "I can see you as a Deli Manager or own or work at a restaurant". I looked at her thinking "are you crazy?". No offense to the people who are working at Deli and Restaurant as their permanent job but that's not what I want. I know that for a fact because I dread going to work everyday. I lose sleep worrying about my horrible schedule for the next week and I can't wait until the time comes when I can leave. I have no desire to work at a deli or a grocery store for the rest of my life. She said she knew a girl who was very bright and worked while she was in University. But by the time she was done she was Manager at her job, earning good money and was very comfortable at this job. To this day she is still there wasting a way a degree. I understand why people do that because you think what if I quit and I can't find a good job anywhere else. Why don't just stay here were I know the job so well and earn good money already. Life isn't about that. You must try new things and experience new things. Life is going to throw you obstacles you don't like but in the end you will have no regrets. I shouldn't really talk because their are still things I would like to do but are afraid and I am afraid now that I will regret it in the years to come. I am also a person who doesn't cope with change very good. At first it's hard for me but then I eventually do get used to. I don't want to live where I am now for the rest of my life but I wan't to move around even to different countries. It scares me so much thinking about leaving my hometown and the house I grew up in and changing cultures. But if you stop doing everything because you are afraid of the what if's then you will never experience things and have regrets. I want to know what life is like outside these walls. That includes different jobs and hopefully more exciting jobs then a dishwasher or a deli worker or deli queen as my dad calls me. I just hope everyone who has the chance to do college and University doesn't waste it on dead end jobs and does things with their life's. It can be scary thinking about the outside world but you will regret it if you don't. That's why I went to Humber to experience living on my own and living in a different area then I do now. I like it at times but now I don't have a regret not going away for school. There are still so many things I want to do and experience and I do have time to do them and I will. Stay positive and don't think your dead-end student job is all you can do!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jenna Marie

    Very interesting to read what your mind thinks sweet girl! This is a very cools idea. And a very nice step for you to share your thoughts and feelings in such a way with others.

    So "Deli Queen" very cute Dad! Yet so appropriate for right now.

    Jenna everyone has dead end jobs that they "have" to work at to support themselves through college(I did, it was Tim Hortons UGH!). You at least have a mindset that it is only temporary. Thank God. Not that there is anything wrong with people that work in grocery stores or Tim Hortons some actually "like" their jobs...but its not for me and its definately not for YOU. :-)

    I envision you as mom who stays home but you have a huge bright lofty office space to work out of on the upper floor of your executive style home. You can be home with your babies and still have your career working from home creating things for other small companies or even for big name magazines and such; you go out for meetings and presentations to companies but are able to do your work in your own private space. I also envision you living in a small quaint town type area near your family cause you need to be close to your mom(I'm the same in that respect)but close enough to a big City that you can drive there for the day.

    I envision your office space to be very chic and modern. Glass top desk with cast iron legs. A full wall of Windows to see out but with reflector finish on the outside so no one can see in. I see things that scream "Jenna" in this room...pink things...lol...this is your space with only your things nothing that says you are a mom or a wife but just a business woman. Well except for maybe a pic of your hubby and kids on your desk. I see an "apple" desk top computer for you to work on as well as a huge slantable work station table for you to work on with papers cutouts from magazines and preparations.

    I also envision a dark room. For you to develop your own pictures and such. I envision a huge digital camera and lots of random pictures that you have taken.

    Okay my time is up and wow I really got into that for a second. While writing I have been trying to think of who I am thinking of while I am envisioning this for you....hahaha have you seen the movie "13 going on 30" with Jennifer Garner? Well I guess its HER. Just the innocent, creative part of her character that I envision for you!

    Anyway, happy reading and I hope you don't mind that I commented on your blog!

    Oh and the modelling thing. You have the figure of a model Jenna! YOU are BEAUTIFUL but I just don't see you modelling! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete